Man Eaters of Tsavo
When the railway was being built in the last decade if the nineteenth century man-eating lions held up the work for several days. The incident is immortalised in the film “The Ghost and Darkness”. We visit the Tsavo area where the incidents took place and stay at the appropiately named “Man Eaters Camp”. It is a charming tented camp on the banks of the Tsavo river, with a swimming pool hewn out of solid rock.
Friday- Depart from Nairobi early and arrive at camp in time for lunch. In the afternoon walk to Tsavo Bridge in the company of an armed ranger. We also visit Tsavo station with its antique machinery still in use! Lions used to make themselves comfortable on the platform of Tsavo station! In the evening there will be a 40-minute talk on the railway, Patterson and the man-eating lions. After dinner you can view the film “The Ghost and Darkness”.
Saturday- we have a relaxing full day in Tsavo East or West.
Sunday- Depart after a leisurely breakfast. We can have lunch at the Sikh temple in Makindu.
Cost- 15,250pp sharing
Included- 2 days FB.
Not included- Transport and park entry for Saturday.
Join our mailinglist!
- Off-peak Mara Safari – 17-19 November, 2017September 26, 2017 - 1:11 pm
- City Walk: Heritage Tour – Sunday 8 October 2017September 26, 2017 - 1:02 pm
- Experienceing the ’Steam Age’ at Nairobi Railway MuseumSeptember 26, 2017 - 12:46 pm
- Annual KMS Book Sale Event; 8 -9 September 2017August 3, 2017 - 5:31 pm
- Trip to Tanzania – 15 – 21 October 2017August 3, 2017 - 1:30 pm
The Louis Leakey auditorium at the National Museum can be booked for functions - click on image to learn more or contact us.
National Museum of Kenya
P.O. Box 40658 – 00100, Nairobi, Kenya
+254 (0)20 233 9158
0724 255 299 | 0780 755 231
0713 354 926 | 0724 255 299